FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kick it or fix it PSU

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bb1. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb1. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kick it or fix it PSU
    Posted: Feb/12/2008 at 10:57pm
To save some time, I will repost an email I sent a friend.  He wasn't too much help.

Hi. Normally, I am smart on computer-type issues, however; I am going to embark on a mission that is a little tougher than the average problem. I'm going to replace my gargling, noisy, rauscus fan in my power supply with a much quieter fan.

Reference:
I read a guide of how the 4 pin power connecter comes off to reveal a 2-pin.  I am aware of the risks and the warranty void.

What I ask is if there is anything I can do BEFORE I rip it apart to quiet it down, such as any type of software. This is a sleeve bearing cheapo, and I am not sure a case fan will fit properly in the fan area. Thanks!

-END EMAIL-

I also want the option of replacing the PSU with a quieter PSU of equal or slightly greater strength.  I like Antec fans, but I'm not sure I can afford an Antec PSU.  Should I RMA the PSU or replace the fan?
Josh Van Cleave View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2008 at 8:47am
RMA, if it is under warranty, RMA.
woodio View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2008 at 12:53pm
Be careful if you decide to open the PSU. They can hold a charge even after unplugged for around a day. You should be able to replace the fan with one from Newegg, but the connector will likely have to be soldered since the inside of a PSU does not have the molex that the fan you linked comes with.
bb1. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb1. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2008 at 6:05pm
I already cut the code off for the rebate.  Can I still RMA?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic