FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Antec 900

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bb1. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb1. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Antec 900
    Posted: Dec/31/2007 at 11:21pm
Not exactly new news, but I was thinking of getting one of these monsters anyway.  Wanted to see what you all think.

Notice the Godzilla fan on top.  Places say it runs quiet as a whisper on low!  I like quiet and cool (cool 'n quiet cough).  The dust must be a huge issue though.
Josh Van Cleave View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2008 at 8:37am
Well you are definatley not going to have a problem with overheating...
Bill Rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2008 at 11:52am
that thing is a beast
bb1. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb1. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2008 at 7:30pm
It is also expensive.  140$ list...it was on rebate for 80$ but that ended.  I was thinking of getting one...but oh well.
Ian MacCosley View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian MacCosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2008 at 9:34am
I think that case really blows!
arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2008 at 10:10am
Reminds me of the center console of a car.
The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
Frederick Douglass - More at my Words of Freedom website.
bb1. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb1. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2008 at 12:45am
I am now the owner of this beast.  Rebate has, unfortunately, ended- best buy screwed me over too (I never wanted to go there, but...)

My review so far:

Upon taking it out of the box, I see the gigantic top fan looming over all.  It is really, HUGE!  The whole front is perferated, but some is just decorative and has a rubber mat behind it.  The top power button and tray all seem intact. 

Inside the case, I see the inner-fan mount and, not surprisingly, the bottom power supply mount.

Time to cut to the chase-  After struggling for a while getting a micro-ATX in, I finally had to hook everything up.  One word: UGH!  Do not attempt without a modular power supply or SATA optical/hard drives!  The cable spaghetti is unbelievable in there, with nowhere to hide all of them. 

The hard drive cages (2) are held in place by thumbscrews.  Taking all those out let you see the cage with 3 mounts.  From here you slide in the drive behind a fan (each cage has a 120mm) and screw in some admittedly long screws. 

If you are like me, you cling to the past.  I use a floppy drive.  The case uses a 5" to 3.5" adapter.  It is a joke.  Try to get it to come together without a headache and you win.  Chances are you will lose.  Stick with the thumbdrive.

The internal fan mount, not on the side intake, but the HDD cage middle- when in place; completely blocks that cage from being fitted with HDDs.  You lose 3 HDDs for a fan.  Depending on your style, mine is 1 hdd, you may choose to use the fan for heavy burden systems with top-of-the-line graphics cards, or leave it out for more desktop space (personally, I'd think 3 500gb is plenty!)

I finally booted it up.  All fans set to low speed, it was surprisingly quiet.  Quieter than my old system, which had a single 80mm fan.  Wow.  This has 3 120s and a 200.  The loudest part of my system is the power supply:  I plan on ripping that fan out and putting another Antec Tri-Cool fan (I'd say these are the best fans on the market for the price right now- quiet, fast, pretty, durable).   I cranked each to medium and the noise crept up on me.  The case roars at full speed all fans.  When I say roar...I mean I felt a draft in the room.  Currently keeping my overclocked 4800 X2 at 35 degrees under heavy load.

I would recommend this case to anyone who wants a cool and quiet...case.  The downside is it has small room for its size (a fricken tank) and micro-atx doesn't fit well without plenty of rubber standoffs.  The upside is great airflow with little sound at low speed, whereas you have a refridgerater at high speed for those dreary summer days.  If you don't like lots of light (overnight computing), do not buy this case.   Each fan has 3 blue LEDs that form spotlights on each fan.  There is no easy way to cover these. 

But for the rest of us who enjoy a light show and a machine that moves more cubic feet of air than a ceiling fan, this case is for you.  Pictures to come soon.
arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2008 at 9:02am
Cool. Link up some pics.
The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
Frederick Douglass - More at my Words of Freedom website.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic