FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solid-State Flash-Drives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
alexjsolis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexjsolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solid-State Flash-Drives
    Posted: Dec/10/2007 at 3:36pm
Toshiba has announced that they will begin manufacturing flash-based solid state drives early next year.  These new storage devices offer many different advantages when compared to contemporary hard drives most notably faster load times and they make no noise.

See here to find more information about Solid State Flash Drives.
Josh Van Cleave View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2007 at 4:47pm

These are very pricey compared to standard drives, you can get one for around 100 bucks if you are willing to settle for 8 or 16 gigs of space.

Their day will come though.

arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2007 at 3:17pm

They are pricey but from what I read Toshiba has cut a deal with a manufacturer that will give them the pricing they need to make them affordable in their notebooks at sizes that are in the 80GB range.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
Frederick Douglass - More at my Words of Freedom website.
Bill Rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2007 at 11:00am
I've seen gaming buddies discussing using 'ram drives' on forums to speed up load times, is this a similar concept?
arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2007 at 11:33am
Yes,

But in that context the RAM drive was a second drive made of memory chips while the new laptop would have its standard C: drive made entirely of memory chips.
The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
bb1. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb1. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2007 at 10:12pm
Are they subject to decay?
arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2007 at 8:22am
Good question and I have not seen anyting on that.

It would be interesting to see how they compare to a standard hard drive when it comes to life expectancy.
Josh Van Cleave View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2007 at 9:35am
I believe their life expectancy is similar to flash RAM, longer than a standard HDD because there are no moving parts.

These are the future I believe, like all new technology it is just going to take some time.

bb1. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb1. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2007 at 12:18am
And a fat wallet.  Morbidly obese wallet.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic