FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New AMD Quad Slammed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New AMD Quad Slammed
    Posted: Nov/30/2007 at 9:27pm
With most new users of the newly released AMD Phenom 9500 asking simply what was the point of AMD even making this chip, I have to wonder how long it will take AMD to get this chip out of production and replace it with the next and faster offering in their new quad core series.

Follow this link to read my post on AMD Phenom Consumer Reviews
The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
Frederick Douglass - More at my Words of Freedom website.
bb1. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb1. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2007 at 11:12pm

That is disappointing.  I had hopes for Phenom.

What is coming after?
arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2007 at 9:53am
It looks like just faster version of the chip with more cache.

If the future AMD chips can run a bit faster and keep their costs down that could be all it takes to make them more attractive. 
The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
bb1. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb1. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2007 at 12:45am
Well, while we are on the topic of AMD, I just got a new Brisbane (65w) X2 4800+ @2.5ghz.  I try to bios overclock, frequency starts at 200mhz and I get around 210-215 before it starts to go crazy (system errors reboots failed boots.)

Am I missing or forgetting something, because from reviews I have read some people get this baby up to 3.2 on stock fans.  I am a bit novice on overclocking, but at 215mhz it runs 2.69ghz.  Trying to top off at 2.8 +/- .05.  Thanks!
arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2007 at 11:09am
Well how far any chip will overclock is a function of it's cooling and luck of the draw. Cooling of course becasue the cooler it is the better your chances are of making it run faster before failure, given that it was not rejected by, in this case AMD, becasue it would not run any faster at the factory. As of course the factory makes all the chips the same, then they are tested to see which ones will run stable at certain speeds. Those that do run fast without locking up might be sold as a 2.5Ghz, while others in that batch that do lock up at the faster speed would be sold as a 2.3Ghz for example. So that's the luck part.
bb1. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb1. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2007 at 12:43am
I'll attempt higher frequencies after a bios flash (which I am positively dreading).  So far 216-218 have given me IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL (??? No idea how that happened)  But I have stress tested it under 218 fine, so I am baffled on that front.  Stock voltage should be adequete enough to push this to 2.85ghz (228mhz FSB)

Right as I wrote this first post I BSODed with the INLOE problem.  2.7ghz was running stable...hmmm.  Maybe I just got a bad chip, but I have read reviews on this mobo (ecs C51GM-M) and they usually say it doesn't like overclocking, coupled with the strictness of XP..UHG!

This is apparant with the way I tried to OC my memory (2x1gb PC26400 OCZ platinum rev 2 4-4-4-12).  It starts clocked at 5-5-5-15 for compatibility reasons, but is tested at 1.9-2.1v whereas my mobo only allows stock 1.8 with at most a +150mv increase, and after setting that, nothing has changed in my CPU-Z test.  Sorry for going off on a tangent, but not getting advertised latency is really upsetting me.  Hope you smarties can help!
arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2007 at 9:32am
IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
Saw that earlier this year on my sisters computer. If I am not mistaken it  ran fine after it got a shot from an air hose (to knock the dust out of it) and they moved it out from inside one of those worthless desks with that little spot behind the door that you put your pc into. So most likely it was overheating. Though the web did list several options for the error.
Ian MacCosley View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian MacCosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2008 at 9:36am
Amazing how Intel always trumps AMD in performance. AMD is going to have a difficult 2008 because Intel is introducing faster chips and lowering prices on high volume inventory.
bb1. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb1. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2008 at 11:47pm
Plus the flop that sent them back about a year.  They are just exploring into 65nm...they should call that off and put full focus onto 49nm technology if they even think they can stand a chance.  Just remember, though, keep buying AMD because if they go under, Intel can charge whatever they want.
rsavoia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsavoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2008 at 9:34am
Personally, I prefer AMD over Intel but that's just me. I build AMD systems only and although there have been a few issues, I am more comfortable building AMD boxes. It is disappointing to watch them slide after gaining market share a couple of years ago. Hopefully they will announce something really innovative this year and catch Intel somewhat off guard. That is the only way they will be able to catch up.
Rick Savoia
The Force Field podcast for IT Service Providers
http://www.theforcefield.net
bb1. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb1. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2008 at 11:28pm

The quad FX platform could potentially allow 8 core systems...but with 2 shared L3 Caches gliched, I wouldn't trust that at all until the fixed processor is released.  I am running an X2 on the Brisbane myself, it is idling at 20 degrees C right now.

John Beagle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2008 at 12:46pm
rsavoia:

Welcome to our forum! I spoke with you on the phone earlier today.
Read my Blog: John Beagle
arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2008 at 10:16am

I have two AMD systems running at home and I have two Intel systems running as well.

I built the AMD machines over a year ago when they were the clear choice for value and performance but the last two systems I built were Intel and for the same reason.

I hope AMD can get their act together because I do believe that healthy competition is best for all involved.

Edited by arwendt - Jan/10/2008 at 10:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic