FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Media Piracy Gets Even Better - Media Extenders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bill Rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Media Piracy Gets Even Better - Media Extenders
    Posted: Sep/27/2007 at 11:00am
Microsoft in cooperation with its hardware partners are bringing PCs and television sets closer together. Media extenders are tv set-top boxes that will connect wirelessly to PCs running the Home Premium or Ultimate flavors of Vista and enable users to use their TV sets to watch movies, TV shows and internet video that is stored on their computers.

The cheapest extender, from Cisco's Linksys division will cost about $300. Four different companies have announced intentions to release the extenders, with D-Link, Niveus, and HP in the game as well. HP and D-Link extenders will be able to play DivX and XVid formats, which is a surprise as they are direct competitors to Microsoft's Windows Media format and often used to encode pirated movies.

Advanced users with the right video cards already know how to hook up their PC to their TV, and have perhaps been doing this for some time, but this brings it to a new level of convenience. No more burning those pesky downloaded DVDs, just keep them on your PC and use a remote control to watch them from your TV. I'm gonna have to get one.
Josh Van Cleave View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2007 at 3:48pm
This sounds real slick, I wonder if there will be any support for HD content.

Josh Van Cleave View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2007 at 4:06pm
I checked this out, there definately is HD support, I will probably have to pick up one of these.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic