FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Free Security Utilities You Need To Use

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
alexjsolis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexjsolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free Security Utilities You Need To Use
    Posted: Aug/03/2007 at 4:22pm
In order to avoid buying expensive software you don't need, or spending money to get unneeded inspections, you should be using these Ten Free Security Utilities to help keep your computer running smoothly and safely. 

I personally have used some of these programs and i have to say they are great.  I have had few issues with my computer since using a few of these programs. Imagine if i had all 10.
John Beagle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2007 at 4:40pm

I like:

OpenDNS is a must-have free service (there's no software to install) that speeds up Web surfing, corrects domain typos on the fly and protects you from phishing scams.

All you do is change your DNS settings (instructions here) to the OpenDNS servers: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

OpenDNS also offers parental controls, shortcuts and other nifty features to help with safe and reliable browsing experience.

Read my Blog: John Beagle
arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2007 at 9:37am

I noticed #9 is  PC Decrapifier, which is very interesting because I was just reading another thread here on the Tech-Army Forums about “Crapware”. A free utility to remove all that trial software / crapware would be great!

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
Frederick Douglass - More at my Words of Freedom website.
Bill Rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2007 at 10:33am
I've never heard of any of these programs except the NoScript plugin for Firefox. I'll probably be downloading a few of them when I get home though.
Josh Van Cleave View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2007 at 8:42am
Be careful with that open DNS, changing your DNS servers while you are on a domain could result in not being able to login to the LAN.

arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2007 at 9:27am

The above post reminds me of a common problem many tech utils have in common. That is they are written for techs. LOL. But seriously most are designed for the serious techs and those of us that are not quite up to that level can get in trouble very easily.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
Frederick Douglass - More at my Words of Freedom website.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic