FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

73% of Company Websites Hacked

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ian MacCosley View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian MacCosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73% of Company Websites Hacked
    Posted: Feb/10/2011 at 10:41am

73 Percent of Organizations Have Been Hacked At Least Once In The Last 24 Months Through Insecure Web Applications

By: Barracuda Labs

• Report from Ponemon Institute finds website attacks are the biggest concern for companies, yet 88 percent spend more on coffee than securing Web applications
  • 69 percent of organizations rely on network layer firewalls to protect their websites, leaving Web applications wide open for attack
  • 72 percent of organizations test less than 10 percent of their Web applications for security holes, some knowing they have been hacked in the past
Visit My Favourite Laptop Blog
Josh Van Cleave View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 1:14pm
You just can't trust those pesky web programmers...  Still 73% is an awfully high number.
DarcyM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarcyM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 8:29am

I can't beleive this:

72 percent of organizations test less than 10 percent of their Web applications for security holes, some knowing they have been hacked in the past
Darcy Mann
Rentacomputer.com
Director of Rental Operations
Technology Travel Agent
Office 800-736-8772 ext 242   
Email darcy@rentacomputer.com
Brawlin Melgar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brawlin Melgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 2:17pm
If you don't look for security issues with your property and you get hacked. Well then you have a horrible time with Google to get your site unbanned after you spend hours fixing or weeks replacing your website.

It is a sort of Darwinism.
Send Me Your Press Release for Distribution on SMB News Now
steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2011 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Ian MacCosley Ian MacCosley wrote:

73 Percent of Organizations Have Been Hacked At Least Once In The Last 24 Months Through Insecure Web Applications

By: Barracuda Labs

• Report from Ponemon Institute finds website attacks are the biggest concern for companies, yet 88 percent spend more on coffee than securing Web applications
  • 69 percent of organizations rely on network layer firewalls to protect their websites, leaving Web applications wide open for attack
  • 72 percent of organizations test less than 10 percent of their Web applications for security holes, some knowing they have been hacked in the past

Hey,
We all have our priorities, and coffee is one of mine!
I find the percentages a bit high to be believable (73%?), but then again, when I'm searching on google for something and I go more than a few pages deep in the results, I'm amazed by the number of hacked sites (usually blogs though) that I come across...
It is a real problem.
Just don't cut my coffee budget! :)

arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2011 at 6:42pm
All it takes is one field on a form that's not secure and you can find yourself on the wrong end of an SQL injection. And just think about how many companies, including design firms, don't even the expertise to do this. Add to that simple human error and BAM! Big problem.

So what is your "coffee budget" Steve?
The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
Frederick Douglass - More at my Words of Freedom website.
DarcyM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarcyM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2011 at 8:23am
According to 74 percent of respondents, Web application security is either more critical or equally critical to other security issues faced by their organizations.
Darcy Mann
Rentacomputer.com
Director of Rental Operations
Technology Travel Agent
Office 800-736-8772 ext 242   
Email darcy@rentacomputer.com
mneal View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mneal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2011 at 10:15am
The fact that 69 percent of respondents are relying upon network firewalls to secure Web applications is like relying upon a cardboard shield for protection in a sword fight.
I can help you with any Technology Rental you need, anywhere. Call Me Toll Free 800-736-8772
arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2011 at 9:40am
Originally posted by mneal mneal wrote:

The fact that 69 percent of respondents are relying upon network firewalls to secure Web applications is....

Is... just ignorant!

Reminded: Life is hard; it's harder when you're stupid ~ John Wayne
The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
Frederick Douglass - More at my Words of Freedom website.
Josh Van Cleave View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2011 at 9:22am
It seems to be a lack of understanding as to how a firewall works.  

If you have a web site behind a firewall you must open the ports through the firewall to allow web traffic to reach that web site.

Once you have opened the ports to the web site how can the firewall be expected to protect you from traffic you have explicitly allowed?  It cannot. . .

adamwlewis View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamwlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2011 at 9:31am
I had a customer call me the other day because their username and password to the CMS were compromised and someone changed a lot of the content in their database. I told them I could restore their website, blah blah blah, and then they say, "Don't you have firewalls to prevent this type of thing?"

I was just dumbfounded. I thought, "Yes, we have firewalls that can interpret the type of activity passing through them, and can analyze whether the data is from a 'bad guy' who shouldn't be accessing your website. Yes, we have those firewalls."

Wow.
read more about adam lewis on his blog

Ian MacCosley View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian MacCosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2011 at 10:11am
The customer is often the most difficult part of the business. Often times the technology is way beyond their comprehension. When they get angry and want to blame you its an awful place to be.
Visit My Favourite Laptop Blog
geogle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geogle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 10:43pm

72 percent of organizations test less than 10 percent of their Web applications for security holes, some knowing they have been hacked in the past.

This data shows that the security issue is ignored by many companies. It's really terrible.
parental control keylogger, mobile spy,iphone spy
Iscari View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iscari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2011 at 8:48am
72% is an alarming rate when you consider how many companies are actually doing business online.  I would feel a lot less comfortable if I knew that my favorite websites were not nearly as safe as I would hope they are.
On-Site Computer Service Technician, Networking and Repair Technicians
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic