FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Linux Embedded DVR's - Can They Perform ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Linux Embedded DVR's - Can They Perform ?
    Posted: Nov/06/2006 at 1:33pm

Can anyone tell me some of the difference between a DVR with an embedded Linux OS and one with Windows XP Pro?

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
Frederick Douglass - More at my Words of Freedom website.
Josh Van Cleave View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2006 at 2:37pm
About 200 dollars, seriously I bet you would not have all the problems we have experienced with people trying to use the XP-Pro DVR systems as a PC to run their apps and surf the Internet.

Edited by Josh Van Cleave - Nov/10/2006 at 2:39pm
arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2006 at 2:58pm

Thanks for the reply.

From the research I have done it looks as if a Linux DVR may be a good choice for people who only need basic DVR functionality, have a limited budget, and are willing to look at their investment in the DVR as basically throw away should it ever have a hardware problem.

But also I see, with all user meddling aside, that a quality Dell based GeoVison DVR will provide a level of software features, upgrade options, ease of support for both hardware and software, and overall value for the seriously security minded that no embedded Linux DVR could compete with.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2006 at 3:16pm

To clarify the above post: I would lean to recommending a name brand stand alone DVR, such as a Samsung SHR-2042-500, for that segment of the market who by either low cost or low performance needs are moved to consider a Linux Embedded PC based DVR.

The benefits of a name brand stand alone DVR over a Linux Embedded PC based DVR would be potential even lower cost, additional ease of use,  the backing of a major manufacturers warranty along with the overall quality that comes with such a name brand unit as compared to what often times amounts to a "home built" PC.

Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2007 at 11:59pm
Yea, Linux is good if you only have limited needs. But for total functionality you need a windows system.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic