FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Load Linux Void your Warranty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Josh Van Cleave View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Load Linux Void your Warranty
    Posted: Mar/29/2007 at 1:47pm

Laura Breeden bought a new Compaq Presario C304NR notebook in January. She bought it because she wanted to get rid of Windows and all the malware that surrounds it and move to Linux, and her old laptop lacked the memory and power to run Ubuntu Edgy. The salespeople assured her that the C304NR was "Linux ready." But they didn't tell her that running Linux would void her warranty.

When she called Compaq -- the unit comes with a one-year warranty on the hardware -- they asked what operating system she was running. When she told them Linux, they said, "Sorry, we do not honor our hardware warranty when you run Linux." In order to get warranty service, she was told, she would have to remove Linux and reinstall the original OS.

dmurphy10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmurphy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2007 at 2:45pm

This does not surprise me.  Any manufacturer is only going to support the OS that was on the system at the time of purchase.  The CSRs at the call centers do not have the background or scripting to guide a customer through Linux.  I am sure now that Dell is going to ship Linux, their CSRs will only support specific versions as well.

John Beagle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2007 at 4:51pm
Even so, how can the linux community grow with obsticals from manufacturers like these?
Read my Blog: John Beagle
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic