FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chrome OS Talk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
John Beagle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chrome OS Talk
    Posted: Nov/30/2009 at 11:07am
Dell's engineers have released a "highly experimental" version of the Google Chrome OS that runs on its Mini 10v netbooks.

Google Chrome OS is an open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks. Google will open-source its code soon. Google is positioning Chrome OS against Microsoft.Chrome OS will function as a modified browser, enabling netbooks to handle everyday computing with web-based applications. No native software required on the pc, just the web, so you have to be connected for the OS to function.

Anyone with Chrome OS experience, please share your thoughts here.
Read my Blog: John Beagle
Ian MacCosley View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian MacCosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2009 at 11:12am
...so you have to be connected for the OS to function.

Oh, that's like inventing a new light bulb when the electric grid was in its infancy.
Visit My Favourite Laptop Blog
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2009 at 11:14am
Google is aware of the limitations this OS will present due to lack of connectivity. Google is just teasing us with the radical idea of a web-only computing experience. That's why it is only being tried on netbooks at this time.

I doubt that consumers will show much interest in the product on other computers at this time.
Josh Van Cleave View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2009 at 1:42pm
I agree in that consumers do not / will not care about changing their OS from whatever they are running to Google OS.  

This Google OS will simply be an alternative to net books and similar "light" devices.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2009 at 1:53pm
What about in offices where internet is widespread. Wouldn't this be a low cost alternative to Windows?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian MacCosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2009 at 1:57pm
I have to agree with John on this one. This would be a very low cost solution for clerical people. With Google Docs and Spreadsheets, a company could have Zero software costs and even the storage of the docs is free. 

Its is a no brainier that this will be widely adopted by the business community in a few short years.
arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2009 at 10:55am
I just can't see saving a hundred or so dollars just to get a "web only" mobile device. The lack of additional functionality would be for me at least, a deal breaker.
The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
Frederick Douglass - More at my Words of Freedom website.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian MacCosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2009 at 5:45pm
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian MacCosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2009 at 5:49pm
Question: Is this netbook-only?
Matt Cutts Answer: Initially focused on netbook-type form factors because they want a compelling experience. Can go bigger later, but for 2010 focusing on netbook.
arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2009 at 9:26am
Great video...I have used the Chrome browser briefly in the past.

I just moved to a new Windows 7 box a few weeks ago. Of course IE, being the total craptastic program it is, will only work about 1/2 of the time.  (Which is fine because I normally browse Firefox) So I guess I could give the Chrome browser another try as a sort of payback for that cool video. LOL

I'll let you know how that goes : )
The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
Frederick Douglass - More at my Words of Freedom website.
alexjsolis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexjsolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2009 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Ian MacCosley Ian MacCosley wrote:

Question: Is this netbook-only?
Matt Cutts Answer: Initially focused on netbook-type form factors because they want a compelling experience. Can go bigger later, but for 2010 focusing on netbook.

After watching the video I don't know why anybody would want to use the Chrome OS on anything but a netbook or mini style laptop.  Here is a developer list of what netbooks are compatible with Chrome OS and which ones aren't quite 100%.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic