FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skype under WindowsXP with Group Policies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
agkr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skype under WindowsXP with Group Policies
    Posted: Mar/16/2007 at 9:32am
Hi,
I have a companies Laptop, that has Firewall restrictions by Group Policy Rules. Nevertheless when I use the computer outside the company net I am not able to start Video conferencing with Skype. What happens is, that I am able to start Skype, Skype then goes online but when I am trying to start a connection to a partner the program suddenly shuts down without any message?????

Have an idea what to do? Is it possible to turn off / run the computer without the Group Policy restrictions (if this is the cause)?
dilbertmouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilbertmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2007 at 9:50am
aqkf,

To my knowledge, it is not possible to block Skype so effectively using group policies.  I believe the worst that could be done would be to block all programs from running with the exception of pre-approved software.  In that case, however, you would not be able to launch Skype at all.

To me, this sounds more like a bug with Skype.  I would suggest trying the latest version available.  If this is already the latest, you might try stepping back to an older version.

If it is some kind of defense put on by the company, there's probably a log file somewhere noting when it was activated.  So, I would look around for log files and pay special attention to the Event Viewer (right click "My Computer", click "Manage", choose "Event Viewer").  If you notice entries stating that an application was shut down, it'll likely note the program used to protect the system.  At that point, Google would be your best friend.

Best of luck,
-- dilbertmouse
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic