FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10 Windows XP services you should never disable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ian MacCosley View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian MacCosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 Windows XP services you should never disable
    Posted: Aug/25/2009 at 3:40pm
There are dozens of guides out there that help you determine which services you can safely disable on your Windows XP desktop. Disabling unnecessary services can improve system performance and overall system security, as the system’s attack surface is reduced. However, these lists rarely indicate which services you should not disable.

Visit My Favourite Laptop Blog
arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2009 at 1:21pm
Good post. I am always looking to keep my OS lean and mean as I tend to run a lot of apps which of course eat RAM so until the OS gets a lot better at handeling itself when you have 3GB of stuff in memor knowing what services you can and can not kill is key.
The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
Frederick Douglass - More at my Words of Freedom website.
John Beagle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2009 at 1:42pm
Seems that there are always too many services running on my computer within 6 months after getting a new one.

Removing services can be quite time consuming.
Read my Blog: John Beagle
Sarah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2009 at 3:42am

As someone who is never fully sure about some of those extra applications, this is a pretty handy list!

alexjsolis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexjsolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2009 at 2:56am
Thanks for the list.  I recently reformatted my PC and even though the install is relatively new, there are almost 50 processes running on my PC at start up.  Of course, my first reaction is to immediately go in and disable all these services and applications.  It's good to know what is actually benefiting my system instead of bogging it down.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic