FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Microsoft can no longer sell Word? What?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Josh Van Cleave View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Microsoft can no longer sell Word? What?
    Posted: Aug/12/2009 at 1:39pm
From ZDNet:

A judge ordered Microsoft to stop selling Word, one of its premier products, in its current form due to patent infringement.

Judge Leonard Davis of the US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas issued a permanent injunction that "prohibits Microsoft from selling or importing to the United States any Microsoft Word products that have the capability of opening .XML, .DOCX or DOCM files (XML files) containing custom XML", according to a statement released by attorneys for the plantiff, i4i. Microsoft did not immediately reply to request for comment but said in a statement that it planned to appeal the verdict.

Toronto-based i4i sued Microsoft in March 2007 alleging that the software giant violated its 1998 patent (No 5,787,449) for a document system that eliminated the need for manually embedded formatting codes.

Sarah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2009 at 2:47am
I just saw that and couldn't believe it.  I didn't even know the case was in court.

More info has been released tonight on the ruling:

- would bar sales of 2003, 2007 Word versions

- Takes effect in 60 days

- Microsoft says will appeal, impact seen minimal

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2009 at 4:49pm
It is absurd to be honest.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2009 at 3:21pm
I am sure Microsoft will end up paying patent dude a lot of money and that will take care of that...
John Beagle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2009 at 2:31pm
Cash is king, MS can buy anything they want, even their way out of a lawsuit.
Read my Blog: John Beagle
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic