FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1 Office does not equal 3 computers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Scott Gardner View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 Office does not equal 3 computers
    Posted: Dec/22/2008 at 4:56pm
I had a call where someone bought 1 copy of Microsoft Office and wanted to install it on 3 computers.  Legally, you need to have 1 copy of Office for each pc it is installed on.
Josh Van Cleave View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2008 at 4:59pm
These are the worse calls, when you tell them "NO" they ask things like "Isn't there any was around that?"  People simply do not equate software piracy with stealing, and it is.
xmhoward View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xmhoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2008 at 5:02pm
Poor fellow.
Xbox 360 Hub
Please view my blog for anything you need to know about your xbox - Mike H
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2008 at 5:02pm
I had a business owner walk in the other day tell me, "My new Dell did not come with Office" I explained it has to be ordered with Office, which he already seemed to understand.  Then he wanted to know if I had a copy I could just "load in there" I said not leagelly, and explained he would have to buy a copy, to which he replied "But it is so expensive".

woodio View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2008 at 11:41am
There is no actual removal of a physical object from Microsoft when they do this, so they don't see it as stealing. I believe it's called "softlifting".
arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2008 at 1:52pm
The same ignorance applies to music as well. People think if they find a song for download on the internet that it must be legal simply because nothing prevents them from doing it.
The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
Frederick Douglass - More at my Words of Freedom website.
Ian MacCosley View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian MacCosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2008 at 4:18pm
It is one thing to download a song buy yourself, but to ask someone else to break the law it the real problem in my mind.

If they were ever audited by the BSA, they would say the tech put it on there. Its not my fault.

Visit My Favourite Laptop Blog
arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2008 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by If they were ever audited by the BSA, they would say the tech put it on there. Its not my fault.   [/QUOTE If they were ever audited by the BSA, they would say the tech put it on there. Its not my fault.   [/QUOTE wrote:

And that is why every tech in this situation should do his best to educate customers and help

And that is why every tech in this situation should do his best to educate customers and help them do the right thing. Becasue if the tech gives in and the customer ends up with a nasty audit you can bet they would blame the tech.

So better to pull a Nancy Regan and "Just say no".
The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
alexjsolis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexjsolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2008 at 5:32pm
I don't think I would want to pay for Microsoft Office either... Ill just stick with the free version known as open office.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2009 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Ian MacCosley Ian MacCosley wrote:

It is one thing to download a song buy yourself, but to ask someone else to break the law it the real problem in my mind.

If they were ever audited by the BSA, they would say the tech put it on there. Its not my fault.

It is ultimately the Companies responsibility to ensure all their machines are legal.  If you buy 100 clones from a non-reputable dealer and said dealer loads all fake copies of Vista and Office 2007 the tech will not be the one held liable, (He may go to jail for selling that stuff) but the company owner is responsible for ensuring their machines are legal.
dnssystems View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnssystems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2009 at 12:05am
I always recommend open office to customers who do not want to pay for MS Office. Some like it, others some how find a way to get the software from someone else
Dragon1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2009 at 4:39am
I checked with Microsoft and local authorities on this and they agree that if you even work on a system with the knowledge that the office installation is not legit they can hold liable. Sorry i would turn down future work from any of my customers that would obtain software in this way. I feel that if they are willing to rip off a major corporation like MS then they would not hesitate to rip me off.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2009 at 4:27pm
If I go to a client site to work on a PC and it has office loaded, I assume that copy is legal, and I perform the work required.  I do not ask for proof of sale.  I can not be held liable. 

Now, Dragon1, if I were to assist with the installation or copying of the software and had knowledge of it being counterfeit they I am liable.  This I would not do.

arwendt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2009 at 5:10pm
In general I agree with the concept of "if they are willing to rip off a major corporation like MS then they would not hesitate to ripe me off".
Dragon1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2009 at 5:17pm
you can call me Dave everyone. My statement was if the customer previously asked me to install an illegal copy and i am their computer service provider and i show up for something else and office is there I can only assume that is was obtained illegally. But that is my mentality to believe they had found another source to get it without paying for it.
Red Dragon PC Service
Zanesville Ohio
reddragonpcservices@columbus.rr.com
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2009 at 1:56pm
I had a customer tell me they read the legal stuff and it says they can legally install the same copy of office on a work PC and a Home PC at the same time, any one ever hear this?
dnssystems View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnssystems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2009 at 2:15pm
maybe this will assist you

http://www.spywareguide.com/analyze/index.php

Edited by dnssystems - Feb/20/2009 at 2:16pm
DNS Systems

Computer and Web Design Solutions

Palm Springs,CA
woodio View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2009 at 3:12pm
What does that even do? I pasted in the MS Office EULA and it just butchered it into about 1000 lines
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2009 at 10:45am
It is in beta, I typically do not use beta products...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic