FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turn Off Unnecessary Windows XP Services

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turn Off Unnecessary Windows XP Services
    Posted: Dec/21/2006 at 1:54pm

Turn Off Unnecessary Windows XP Services

Turning off unnecessary services in Windows XP can greatly reduce your exploit risk, while improving system performance. It's a good time to inject that often there are all sorts of "download optimizers" and other cute programs that vendors like to push on users. The first rule is "If you don't know you need it, you probably don't."

Turning off unnecessary services in Windows XP can greatly reduce your exploit risk, while improving system performance. It's a good time to inject that often there are all sorts of "download optimizers" and other cute programs that vendors like to push on users. Most of the time, installing such things slows your computer down at best. It could subject you to potential security risks. The first rule is "If you don't know you need it, you probably don't."

Unnecessary services don't just subject you to security risk. They also slow down the operation of your computer. So, don't get lazy here and think you can just deal with the infections later. Go ahead and turn that junk off and recapture your system from these resource hogs. You get to services by going to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, then Services. You should see a long list of services, some running and some dormant. Use this checklist to help determine which services you can live without.

http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_unnecessary_services_on_windows_xp/
dmurphy10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmurphy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2007 at 1:34pm

While I agree with this, I would just like to add that this task is best preformed by someone familiar with the services and what they are for.  My neighbor found a website that suggested some services that he should disabled.  The end result was a completely blank menu and desktop and endless RPC service Errors. 

Booting with Last Known Configuration did not work and I could not enable and services.  In the end, I was able to Boot In Safe Mode and delete the hardware profile via the Registry.  A reboot created a default Hardware Profile and all was good.  MS KB Article 838428.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic