FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Security Camera Industry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
John Beagle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Security Camera Industry
    Posted: Dec/19/2006 at 10:02am

The security camera industry is better suited for companies that currently work with computers, networks and routers rather than security alarm companies.

Computer companies know how to get computers connected to the Internet and can easily troubleshoot IP connectivity issues.

CCTV DVRs are nothing but a computer with a DVR card. The best performing, highest featured models run on Windows XP Professional. However, there are some Linux based systems that are low cost with many great features too. To find our more I recommend visiting the following website and blog:

Find out how easy it is to become certifed to install GeoVision and Samsung DVRs for the Tech-Army Organization.
eyespy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyespy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2008 at 9:04am
I wish everyone would agree with you on IT techs being best suited for DVR installations. The problem with security companies they do not want to miss out on any money.
I would not want a company that changes oil in a car to change the motor in my car.
Eye Spy Electronics and More
Home2Office View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Home2Office Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2008 at 3:18pm
where do you need to go to become certified?
H2O, Inc. - Home2Office Solutions
Home2Office View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Home2Office Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2008 at 3:32pm
Hi David, nice to see you here. let me know about the IL. job when you can. hope those links benefit you. take buddy.

Damon
H2O, Inc. - Home2Office Solutions
NetDefender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NetDefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 2:51pm
Hello all,

I agree entirely about computer techs making very good CCTV techs but here in VA and in more and more locations across the country you do in fact need to be registered (normally includes training and a background check) and working for a licensed security buisness (normally includes money, training and background checks on owners).  The fines for working outside of these in VA are quite severe.   

The funny part about the way the laws are written here are even if you are just pulling the cable and the intended use is CCTV/Burglar systems you could be in violation.  

The Site that gets you the specifics here in VA is https://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/pss/ 

My company is a licensed security business in VA and I am a DCJS certified Instructor in the Electronic Security categories.

Just my 2cents. 
Thanks

Dennis David
NetDefender Securities, LLC

alexjsolis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexjsolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2010 at 3:03am
Great post NetDefender.  I was not aware of the strict fines and regulations imposed upon those in the security business as I personally do not work with CCTV.  Seems like it would be difficult for an ordinary technician to get into that market.    
Ian MacCosley View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian MacCosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2010 at 11:55am
Dennis, you raise a very good point. Many cities are requiring registration and or certifications prior to installing anything connected to a security camera. It is important that all Tech Army members are aware of local code. And keep in mind, code can change from city to city, county to county, state to state.

Essentially, its another tax on the industry.

Funny thing, many alarm companies are not equipped to handle DVRs, yet they are certified. 
Visit My Favourite Laptop Blog
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic